Sojourn - Thoughts From The Band

Blog for postings from the Grand Rapids, Michigan based band Sojourn. Includes musings and thoughts from band members, reports on concerts, and whatever floats through our minds.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Grand Rapids Festival of the Rain- 2006

The Grand Rapids Festival of the Arts defines itself on it’s website as:

  • A FREE community showcase of the arts!
  • A feast for all the senses!
  • A community-wide celebration!
  • The arts come alive at Festival!
  • Festival is the largest all-volunteer arts event in the nation!

It was a great event of food, music, and all sorts of visual art. Unfortunately, it was also a stormy, rainy weekend with a Kenny Chesney concert at Van Andel.

As the others of us, I left work a little early on Friday to get my gear and head down to Festival. The skies were foreboding but were clear enough for me to take photos from the work parking lot. I went home and loaded up. As I got home, the skies opened. I loaded my drums in the torrential downpour but luckily not the hail. That happened on the way into town!

So I got to the City Stage where we were scheduled to play about an hour before our set. Adam Pringle and his rock quartet were playing. These guys sounded good. I was actually a bit intimidated by the sound system and how loud his bass drum sounded between the buildings. The sky was beautiful blue with graceful clouds hovering over the buildings above us; until we were ready to play.

When we got onstage the rain picked up again, not like it had before, but a nice soak. We did our sound check and apparently none of us want to listen to Dean’s voice! The sound system was fun to play with a little and I felt like we were going to have a nice groove. The stage was leaking a little on my back but it would have been fine. Right then the skies opened. Again.

The guys told us we couldn’t play because of the high voltage sound equipment. We were all a bit disappointed but had a good time anyway. Adam and I wanted to play acoustically but the other guys couldn’t. We waited for the rain to pass with lots of onlookers under the awnings along the sidewalks. It was difficult for me to think that they wouldn’t be able to hear our message if the rain didn’t let up.

After watching Adam squeegee the stage for a while, the rain subsided. We were sound checking again, the MC was asking Adam his name and details about the band again, the sun was shining, but there was still one glitch in the sound system. We were announced, introduced and given the green light (both figuratively and literally since we were at an intersection) to begin our music when one of the stage workers told us that we are going to have to let the next group on the stage.

Adam gave the crowd a gracious ‘thank you’ and we began disembarking the stage. I was frustrated. My frustration was deepened by all the little girls in pink tutus that were waiting backstage to go on after us. We were trying to move equipment and they were trying to tie their shoes. Doesn’t seem like it, but I guess it all falls under the ‘arts’ umbrella. My face must have shown my disappointment because both Tim and Dean were quick to give me all the “It’s OK” and “We’ll try again next year” lines. I just wanted to get my drums back home and dry off.

Overall, I think the whole Festival was a rain out. There were lots of folks out on Friday night, but if you were there on Friday or Saturday there’s a good chance you got a good shower. As for Sojourn, the people didn’t get to hear our message. But they did get to see how we appreciatively took the opportunity we had and took defeat to the weather with poise. There are all different ways to witness to people and sometimes actions speak louder than a wet sound system.

Thanks to everyone who came out to show support!

John

http://www.sojournband.com/

GR Arts Festival: http://festivalofthearts.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home