Sojourn - Thoughts From The Band

Blog for postings from the Grand Rapids, Michigan based band Sojourn. Includes musings and thoughts from band members, reports on concerts, and whatever floats through our minds.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Mocha-N-Music

WARNING- This entry is part diary entry, part performance report, and part critique. I guess another way of saying ‘blog’ since I have no idea who my audience is!

Sojourn performed at Mocha-N-Music in Hudsonville last night. It was an unseasonably cold, seasonably rainy evening. It was great to walk in from the cold rain to the warm cinnamon/chocolate/coffee flavored air of the shop.

We began setting up with our special guest, Jim Cash, and found some challenges with sound equipment. It seemed that none of us were comfortable with the ‘stage’ acoustics and being able to hear themselves with the group. I know I couldn’t hear much, but it seemed to sound good out front which is all that matters.

It was great to start playing and see all the familiar folks come in. I’m thankful to see the Wells Angels folks, the Hudsonville ‘fan club’, and my co-workers. Everyone seemed to really engage with the band and respond especially when Jim was on lead guitar. The room seemed almost silent when Adam was introducing our song, For Today, speaking of the return of Christ. I’m glad we found so many ears willing to listen.

The music turned out a little different than we expected. We each had our moments of folly but that is why I like live music. Since I have been playing with Adam, Dean and Tim; this was our tightest show to date. We keep growing together musically and I am learning their unspoken language of musical interpretation. Tim was jamming on a couple of his solos that he played a little different, probably just excited by all the folks that came out. Dean was solid as a rock; a master of his instrument. Adam gave everything he had, as always, and didn’t hold any of his energy back. What a fun addition to the sound it was to have Jim Cash on lead. Jim was classy on his parts mimicking his work on the album and going one step further.

A couple of my favorite musical moments were in Old Man when Adam has a fade in vocal, one of my favorite songs Sometimes We Weep, and how fun it was to play loud on our more rock oriented songs.

After we performed I heard some great things about the products that Marten and the staff were serving. I was looking forward to enjoying some of my wife’s chocolate mint smoothie at the break only to find that she had finished it because it was so good! I later had one myself and it was very refreshing. I look forward to coming to play some more music and to have another smoothie!

Thanks to everyone that came out. It is so much more enjoyable to play with people in the room!

John
www.SojournBand.com

3 Comments:

  • At 5/12/2006 9:25 AM, Blogger Adam Parmenter said…

    Mocha-N-Music was a pleasure to play. The people were enthusiastic, and don't know the last time when we were asked for an encore.

    Audience vibe aside, when of my measures of a great night is if I'm able to get past the performance aspect and more simply enjoy the music and friends. An even more significant measure for me is if I'm able to direct my attention and music toward the Lord, God.

    Well, last night I enjoyed rich experiences in all of those measures. All my dreams was one song in which I especially left the audience and the band out of my experience and "spent time with God". Last night, that song was just for God and me. It was powerful and poignant.

    It WAS great to see musician friends and other familiar faces, and to also meet new people and enjoy their company.

    Looking forward to returning to Mocha-N-Music

     
  • At 5/12/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Adam Parmenter said…

    Mocha-N-Music was a pleasure to play. The people were enthusiastic, and don't know the last time when we were asked for an encore.

    Audience vibe aside, some of my measures of a great night is if I'm able to get past the performance aspect and more simply enjoy the music and friends. I did that last night.

    An even more significant measure for me is if I'm able to direct my attention and music toward the Lord, God.

    Well, last night I enjoyed rich experiences in all of those measures. All my dreams was one song in which I especially left the audience and the band out of my experience and spent time with God. Last night, that song was just for God and me. It was powerful and poignant.

    It WAS great to see musician friends and other familiar faces, and to also meet new people and enjoy their company.

    As always, it is a pleasure to jam with the guys. Sojourn is a pleasure.

    Looking forward to returning to Mocha-N-Music

     
  • At 5/12/2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Chocaloate mint smoothie? I missed that.

    Guess that leaves something to look forward to for next time.

    Hammster

     

Post a Comment

<< Home