Sojourn - Thoughts From The Band

Blog for postings from the Grand Rapids, Michigan based band Sojourn. Includes musings and thoughts from band members, reports on concerts, and whatever floats through our minds.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Emotional Glorification

It has come to my attention this week that God is in control. This week more than most due to an occurence in my own life and the events that happen in the world around us.

In the past I have written about my job. It is tedious, repetitive, and lacks any end. I'm not going to tell you that I quit my job and became a full-time drummer or a writer (obviously!) But, I have been reassigned within the company to a position that is an enormus compliment. We are trying a new business model and want the best people we can find, and they still chose me!

The only thing I can say to that is God is at work. I don't know what is going to come out of my earthly career, but 10 jobs in 5 years with the same company sure is interesting at least. He knows what the end looks like, He knows what I am feeling, and the only thing I can do is say thank you.

The other way I have seen God at work in emotions this week is in the news. First, I read a story about a muslim who converted to Christianity who could be receiving the death penalty. As a Chist follower, I know that suffering is in our contract, a part of the Christian experience. However, we have the compassionate feeling that he should not be put to death for something we can do freely in America. Afghan Supreme Court Judge Ansarullah Mawlavizada was quoted saying, "If he doesn't revert back to Islam, he's going to receive the death penalty, according to the law. " I can't imagine any Christian that wouldn't cringe at least a little at this kind of statement coming from someone in that authoritative position.

On the other end of that spectrum we see the jubilation today as three Christians were released from captivity in Iraq. The joy that their families must be feeling is beyond my scope.

I have found that in both my life and the life around us God is showing us a range of emotional reactions, only to save the best emotion for Himself. The love for God is like no other emotion on the earth.

I feel I have to make some reference to music so here it goes... It is almost like playing drums. You want to make accented notes sound more impactful so you play them louder. What you find is that all the notes get louder. What you really need to do is make the non-accented notes softer. This way, the accented notes sound even more imapctful.

Our love for God is the only accent. Our love for our spouse, nature, playing sports, computers, food, anything here is only a small fraction of what it is to love God. People often look forward to heaven as a place they will get to do all the things they have always wanted. I disagree. It will be the place we get to worshp God for eternity. That's heaven.

John
http://www.sojournband.com/

Links to the articles I referenced from BBC news:

British Iraq hostage Kember freed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4836218.stm

Fears over Afghan convert trial
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4831426.stm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home