Sojourn - Thoughts From The Band

Blog for postings from the Grand Rapids, Michigan based band Sojourn. Includes musings and thoughts from band members, reports on concerts, and whatever floats through our minds.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Lie Down In Peace

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

I'm so used to working hard to achieve results, and so convinced the only things worth getting are the things that I work to achieve. It has taken me years to see the failure of that approach. I used to say to my wife, "I don't go to bed when I'm sleepy, I go to bed when I'm ready to give up."

The end of the day always reminded me of what I had not accomplished.
What a crummy way to live.

I'm not suggesting that we roll over and let God stroke our tummy, spoon feed us a wipe our. . .
What I am suggesting is that we all must be vigorously working with one goal in mind: Knowing And Enjoying God. When that it is our utmost target, all the other important things will happen.

Another Psalm says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

Get the point here, when I am delighted by some one, my thoughts and desires revolve around that person. My direction in life changes. If I'm so into God that I find my self enjoying him, delighting in him, I'm going to desire those things that bring us closer together. I'm not going to be chasing down junk God hates.

In fact if you keep reading in that Psalm it goes on to say "He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, . ." You see, God's ultimate design is not to give you as much stuff as possible. It is to bring Glory to Himself by making you more like Him. In that process you are going to enjoy and take pleasure in it. Not because you are supposed to or God is making you. The things of God really are cool! They are enjoyable, and it feels really good to be close in a relationship with the Lord.

God designed us to be really tight with Him. It makes sense, that when He makes us more like Himself, we are more satisfied and happy.
More later.

Do you think I'm full of baloney in what I'm saying? Please leave a comment or visit the Sojourn forum at our home page http://www.sojournband.com

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home